Linking payments to invoices

We have a small problem I hope you can provide some insight on. Our
data capturer has captured payments for invoices through the general
ledger section as apposed to capturing them against invoices. Is there
a way we can link these payments to the invoices so that our debtors
balances correctly? I am fairly competent with databases as I am a
developer myself, so if there is a way we can create the association
in the database I will be prepared to try that route as apposed to
undoing all the work done to this point.
Regards,
Matthew Kent
031 764 5450