Re: Prepayment

I think this raises the more complex issue of "Contract Accounting". In such systems, the contract fee is paid monthly or annually in advance (a prepayment) and labour and goods against that contract are "included" or "excluded". More complex elements of contract accounting include special rates for excluded work, pro-rata rebates on items subject to wear and tear, usage thresholds. In view of this, a mechanism for handling prepayments and advance payments would solve a lot of problems. We do this by "selling" an item which is a monthly or annual charge and it has a specific income account. When work is done against a contract, it is billed against a parallel client called "Client X contract work". In this way, we know which contracts are profitable or not.

I'll watch with interest how this pans out.

Regards,
David Sentinella.

Michael Richardson wrote:
  For instance, you pay $500/month for support, which you can spend in
$125/hour chunks on support calls. If you go above 4 calls, you get
billed more. However, if you go below, you can spend it in the
subsequent month, but not afterwards.

begin:vcard
fn:David Sentinella
n:Sentinella;David
org:Integrated Imaging Pty Ltd
adr:334 Barrenjoey Rd;;Suite 3 ;Newport;NSW;2106;Australia
email;internet:..hidden..
title:Managing Director
tel;work:+61 2 9999 6805
tel;fax:+61 2 9997 7426