Anyone doing time and materials billing?

I am interested if anyone is doing time and materials billing or project
management?  What about job costing, project management or contracting?

In construction industry we are using "assemblies" as the base building block
for a job then ending up with a parts & labor invoice (parts and services).
This is because there is not a fixed price on our quote, it is only an
estimate.
So we use an assembly to pull in 100's of parts and hours of labor with just a
few items.
In construction it is customary for customers to need actual dates worked and
lists of materials upon invoice so the assemblies are broken down upon
becoming a order.
Then what actually happens can be billed.

However we don't have a blank check, workers are not allowed to continue after
the alloted time is run out so there is a budget set for time cards. Time
cards above budget are not allowed  until the customer approves a order and
it is added to the project. Timecards are then added to invoices and not used
to generate new sales orders.

Viewing a project (really a JOB) shows all open and closed quotes / orders /
timecards and invoices plus projects have an address, permit and contact
info.

Is anyone else interested in this reversal of business logic?
We also track all orders / invoices on a per job basis.

If there is any interest I'll set up a demo site over the holiday.

--
Cheers
Turtle

FYI the .asc file is a digital signature
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy for more info.