Discount Field

The below quoted old message, has raised something I've been meaning to
bring up for some time.

What are the pros, cons, and chances, of adding a discount field?  An
overall discount field, that is, under subtotal.

I would like to be able to adjust the over all final price, either by a
hard dollar amount, or by a percentage.

E.G. "Hey, you guys really shipped my last order late--how about twenty
bucks off on my current invoice?"
"Well, that wasn't us, it was the shipper, but certainly, let me just
enter a 20 into discount, and...done!"

Percentage can be done with line items, but even then you want to take 10%
off of an order, it might just be quicker to enter "10%" into a field
called discount, and not into 52 different line item fields on a big
order worthy of such discounts.

Even the field name could be variable: if it is a text field defaulting to
a defaults "name of discounts" entry, you could call it "Discount",
"Write-Off", or whatever, as described below, and then alter it at
"runtime" to say something more descriptive if necessary.

Is this something worth requesting as a feature, or am I alone in desiring
it?

Not having it makes porting in old invoices difficult, as we always did
this under manual invoicing for the first several years of my company, and
having to do calculations which some times never quite work out, or
implement other weird looking solutions, is annoying.

Luke