Debug rendering of invoices

This is really a SL question for now as we won't be able to migrate to LSMB until 1.3 arrives. I suspect however that SMB uses the same means of producing invoices - creating a .tex file and rendering that into PDF or whatever. Is that correct? In SL and/or LSMB is it possible to see the .tex file with all variables substituted? We have some invoice problems and looking at the .tex file created for a complete invoice would be helpful in the debugging process.

Sorry for this being a bit off-topic.

TIA
Brian