Re: Proposal for 1.4: New Timecard Interface

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Jeff Kowalczyk <..hidden..> wrote:

> The flat labor rate is particularly useful. One of my users is utilizing
> timecards for date of service, but charges a flat rate per service
> instance. They enter 'one hour' e.g. 12:00 to 13:00.

Maybe on the project level then?

Here is my thinking of this use case:  A business charges $250 per
tech support incident.
You still want to track labor and costs.

So you set up a project category as flat rate, with it tied to
something on the services interface (i.e. qty 1 of tech support
incident)
You enter timecards
Generate the sales order whch gives you 1 tech support incidents
regardless of labo.
etc.

Does that sound reasonable?

> I'm sure this is part of the larger relational integrity initiative, but I
> would like to see our relational integrity model in 1.4 prohibit deletion
> of timecards which are referenced by generated sales orders. AFAICT, it's
> just a transcription operation now.

Yes.  That is reasonable.  However I would take it further.

Since a time card is an entry which could have important paper-trail
elements, I would say that we prohibit deleting them ordinarily by
default anyway.  If an adjustment needs to be made, one can always
enter a flat labor adjustment (i.e. 3 too many hours?  add a timecard
for that same day with a labor of -3 hours and notes saying why the
adjustment was needed.)