Re: Fixed-price quotes

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Paul Wrightson <..hidden..> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> It had to happen at some point - I have a prospect looking for a
> fixed-price quote.
>
> What I am thinking of doing is using a "special" service code that I can
> use for fixed-price bids. Then the quote becomes QTY 1 and I just modify
> the details for each specific fixed-price bid. I would rather not
> disclose the various service rates, discounts, additions, fixed-price
> fiddle factors etc, used in calculating the fixed price.
>
> I would, however, like to track the project internally so that I can
> determine its profitability - using service codes and per-client discounts.
>
> Is there a better way to do this?

I don't know.  Maybe invoice a customer for the fixed price amount,
but then also invoice (separate invoice, not sent to customer) what
you put in at a 100% discount?  However, to make this work correctly
you would probably have to make both invoices post on the same day.
the 100% discount invoices would then be used for cost calculation,
and all invoices total would represent the fixed rate of the project.
This way you could track hours, etc spent as far as reporting goes.

Down the road, it would be nice to have a more robust project system.

Any better ideas?