Re: experience: installing on Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10)

Elizabeth Bevilacqua wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 12:22 PM, H.S. <..hidden..> wrote:
>> I am installing LedgerSMB, 1.2.15, on a machine running Ubuntu Gutsy
>> (7.10). I am no expert in databases and accounting. Given this, here is
>> what I experienced:
>
> Thank you for taking the time to write this up, it's very helpful!

You are welcome. I just hope this is helpful to others in my position.

>> 1. I first did what README.debian told me to do. That went okay.
>> Basically it asked me to install a bunch of debs and a few cpan modules.
>
> Hmmm, what README.debian did you use? This doesn't sound like the
> /usr/share/doc/ledgersmb/README.Debian that shipped with the 1.2.15
> .deb release

Sorry, not the deb release, the .tgz release. I attempted to install the
deb form Debian's alioth project (they have 1.2.15-2, which presumably
supports PG 8.2!), but dpkg gave an error and wouldn't install that
package. Since this was on Ubuntu, I figured I better not continue with
the Debian deb. I was quite surprised though, that the deb did not work
on Ubuntu Gutsy.

This is what I got:
$> sudo dpkg -i ledgersmb_1.2.15-2_all.deb
[sudo] password for gsq:
(Reading database ... 177269 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking ledgersmb (from ledgersmb_1.2.15-2_all.deb) ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): short read in buffer_copy (failed to write to
pipe in copy)
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing ledgersmb_1.2.15-2_all.deb (--install):
 short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during
`./etc/ledgersmb/templates/German-packing_list.tex')
 ledgersmb_1.2.15-2_all.deb

>> BTW, while testing the build, it asked me install two additional
>> modules. So I guess this prerequisites file was missing them.
>
> Do you happen to remember which these were so we can work toward
> getting them included for the .deb?

I should have remembered. Actually I kept a log of the installation
steps. But it appears I lost the file someplace *feeling embarrassed*. I
was remotely and it was very lated in the night (early morning) and
things got a bit mixed up. Sorry.

In any case, testing the build told me what was missing and I used cpan
to install those.

>> 4. Then I started to follow the Manual Install in the INSTALL file.
>
> OK, so I'm thinking maybe you weren't using
> /usr/share/doc/ledgersmb/README.Debian and that's why you started
> using the regular INSTALL file. Typically in a Debian package we

Yup, you are right, I was using the tgz (see above).

Regards.
->HS