Re: experience: installing on Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10)

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 12:22 PM, H.S. <..hidden..> wrote:
> I am installing LedgerSMB, 1.2.15, on a machine running Ubuntu Gutsy
> (7.10). I am no expert in databases and accounting. Given this, here is
> what I experienced:

Thank you for taking the time to write this up, it's very helpful!

> 1. I first did what README.debian told me to do. That went okay.
> Basically it asked me to install a bunch of debs and a few cpan modules.

Hmmm, what README.debian did you use? This doesn't sound like the
/usr/share/doc/ledgersmb/README.Debian that shipped with the 1.2.15
.deb release

> BTW, while testing the build, it asked me install two additional
> modules. So I guess this prerequisites file was missing them.

Do you happen to remember which these were so we can work toward
getting them included for the .deb?

> 4. Then I started to follow the Manual Install in the INSTALL file.

OK, so I'm thinking maybe you weren't using
/usr/share/doc/ledgersmb/README.Debian and that's why you started
using the regular INSTALL file. Typically in a Debian package we
wouldn't even have included INSTALL (in fact, it creates a packaging
warning which I had to override), but I made the choice to keep it
because it had a nice troubleshooting FAQ in it (devs - can we move
troubleshooting FAQ to another file so we can stop including INSTALL
in our .deb? :)). The /usr/share/doc/ledgersmb/README.Debian is what
we expect users to use for installation on Debian/Ubuntu, many of the
issues you go on to explain in this installation report are addressed
there.

Thanks,

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua // Lyz // pleia2