Re: Decimal point problems

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Stroller
<..hidden..> wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2008, at 17:30, Peter wrote:
>
>> I need to use a comma as decimal separator here so not the point
>> (full stop).
>> When I set the format as 1.000,00 =>
>
> This format choice doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  The English
> add commas to separate sets of 3 zeros.
>
> IE:
> 1 thousand = 1,000 or 1,000.00
> 1 million = 1,000,000 or 1,000,000.01
> 1 thousand and one penny = 1,000.01
> 1 million one penny = 1,000,000.01
>
> I was not aware that Europeans did this (with full-stops?).

I am aware of three major number formats (1000.00 for each):

1,000.00
1'000,00
1.000,00

Typically we sometimes see issues because numbers taken from the db
are not properly handled and so the comma causes issues when used as a
decimal separator.  In this case, the number is multiplied by 100.  We
have mechanisms in place to correct such problems but in this case, we
missed an instance.