Re: Interesting coverage of our project on the SQL-Ledger-users list

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Luke <..hidden..> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Chris Travers wrote:
>
>> see non-JS usability as a requirement for being able to reasonably do
>> accessibility QA.
>
> Agreed, mostly, but given what I proposed a few days ago as the JS
> implementation for this, where do you see the accessibility effects?  It
> changes the UI not in the slightest.

Actually, the simple JS fixes do change the UI.  Remember that the
textual labels rather than the submission values are entered, so you
either have to change the button.innerText (and thus change the UI) or
you have to build a parallel form and submit that.

> I do not use windows screen readers, but I know that they do handle JS
> effects to at least some reasonable extent.

I am not sure whether changing the text inside various parts of the
page would be supported and if it is supported, *how* it would be
handled.

>  Regardless, I would not
> suggest depending on that unless we could get some actual Wineyes or JFW
> users in on the testing (I probably could, but it is neither here nor
> there, because...).  I do not see a script which alters the nature of the
> submitted data, as being a problem from an accessibility prospective, and
> am interested in what you think I am missing in this respect.

I would like to see a more detailed suggestion.  What I heard was
"alter the buttons so that they submit properly" which with IE7 means
change the text that they display :-(.  Even so, that wouldn't give us
IE6 support.