Re: Still can't install LedgerSMB

On 24 May 2008, at 23:23, Merce Hernandez wrote:
I am now having a problem on Step #8 Check Dependencies. The following
text is my problem:

..hidden.. ledgersmb]# perl Build.PL
Checking prerequisites...
 - ERROR: Locale::Maketext::Lexicon is not installed
 - ERROR: Config::Std is not installed
 * Optional prerequisite Net::TCLink is not installed

ERRORS/WARNINGS FOUND IN PREREQUISITES.  You may wish to install the
versions
of the modules indicated above before proceeding with this installation

Deleting Build
Removed previous script 'Build'

Creating new 'Build' script for 'LedgerSMB' version '1.

I am using Business Edition Linux Server (a derivative of PCLinuxOS
2007) and these packages are not listed in the BEL or PCLinuxOS
repositories. However, I did find them at CPAN. I had never used this
website before and eventually figured out how to install these packages
on my BEL server. However, when I run the command "perl Build.PL" I
still get the same Errors as above. When I search for
"Locale::Maketext::Lexicon" and "Config::Std",  I can find them
installed in the "root" directory. How they got in that directory, I
don't know.

Hi there,

I don't know Business Edition Linux Server or PCLinuxOS, so please excuse me if I'm not helpful. My distro, Gentoo, uses a wrapper around the CPAN modules, so I do things a little differently to the way you do.

When you say that you find these modules in the "root" directory, I presume you mean "/root", which is the home directory of the root user. Users are separate from paths, and the "root directory" in Unix is "/".

Anyway, finding them in those directories suggests they haven't been installed - that's simply not where they'd be installed to.

On my LedgerSMB system:
  $ locate Lexicon | grep perl
  /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Locale/Maketext/Lexicon.pm
  /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Locale/Maketext/Lexicon
  /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Locale/Maketext/Lexicon/Auto.pm
  /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Locale/Maketext/Lexicon/Tie.pm
  /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Locale/Maketext/Lexicon/Gettext.pm
  /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Locale/Maketext/Lexicon/Msgcat.pm
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i686-linux/auto/Locale/Maketext/ Lexicon /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i686-linux/auto/Locale/Maketext/ Lexicon/.packlist
  $
This "lib/perl5" directory would seem to me to be a logical place where I might find perl libraries installed.

Anyway, I think you may have found these files you mention in "/ root", indicating that you logged into your system as root and then just downloaded them to your homedir. If you've downloaded these as archives - tar, gzip (".gz"), or bzip (".bz2"), "zip files" basically - then just double-clicking on them won't install them to the right place (it'll probably just unpack them to the same directory).

I think the confusion stems from "this CPAN website which you've never used before":

  Note that CPAN is also the name of a Perl module, CPAN.pm, which
  is used to download and install Perl software from the CPAN archive.
  This FAQ covers only a little about the CPAN module and you may
  find the documentation for it [elsewhere]
  from <http://www.cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html#What_is_CPAN>

I think that what you need to do is:

- Run cpan and perform a manual configuration(accept all dependencies that cpan pauses for)
  Type `cpan` in a terminal window.
- Upgrade cpan by installing the CPAN Bundle
  Type `install Bundle::CPAN`
- Quit cpan to re-initialize it
  `quit`
- Run cpan to install perl dependencies
  Type `cpan` (hit enter until you get to the cpan[1] prompt)
- Commit cpan configuration changes
  `conf commit`
- Install packages.
  `install  Locale::Maketext::Lexicon Config::Std Net::TCLink`
- Quit cpan
  `quit`

I can't test these instructions because I don't use your distro - they're hacked together from <http://www.howtoforge.com/ otrs_centos4.4>. That webpage is only related to your problems because it came up first hit in a Google search for "installing additional cpan on PCLinuxOS", and it deals with installing some other webapp (i.e. a program similar to LedgerSMB) on which also has some CPAN prerequisits.

I'm confused by other syntax offered elsewhere <http:// theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/CPAN/perl/lib/CPAN.html>. You may need to substitute "Type `perl -MCPAN -e shell`" where "Type `cpan`" appears above.

You say you've "been using PC based accounting systems" for some time - I assume you mean Windows-based accounting systems, and before that DOS? Linux is really quite different and it does take some getting used to. Whilst I commend you for just getting on with the job in hand & trying your best, installing Ledger-SMB from scratch is probably not a first-steps-on-Linux sort of task. I get daunted sometimes by Windows Server 2003, so you're not alone.

I would hate to see an accountant get turned off LedgerSMB because it's complicated to install. If recommending to your customers, LedgerSMB is really much better as a "hosted solution" than something they install themselves, so it might be worthwhile eventually hooking up with a local techhie ("IT consultant") that can offer that. He would rent some space in a sever colocation centre and sit a single server PC in it; your customers would each have an account on that and pay an annual rental.

If you're based in the UK then send me the postage (and a crate of Hobgoblin dark ale) and I'll send you a PC with SQL-Ledger preinstalled. This offer is open to any accountant based in the UK or France. I'm guessing from your email address that you're from the same place as that good ol' boy, Dubya. Well, I'm sure there must be a Virginian on this list that can extend you the same offer, or else another USA member who can dig up a Pentium III at the tip & ship it to you, LedgerSMB preinstalled.

IMO an accountant's first experience with Ledger shouldn't be struggling to learn the Unix commands which will allow him to consider installing it - I'd like to see you logging straight on to the Administration page, adding a sample company and some employees of that company who are allowed to make transactions. It's really hands on use that will speed your assessment.

Stroller.