Re: pos hardware information

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 9:58 AM,  <..hidden..> wrote:

> You might find my experience helpful.  We run a small retail women's
> clothing boutique and currently using SQL-Ledger.  Planning on converting to
> LedgerSMB hopefully this weekend.  I assume that for this particular topic,
> that there should be minimal differences between SQL-Ledger and Ledgersmb.

Actually, I rewrote the POS module at one point to help a customer
better manage things.  Here are a summary of the differences:

1)  You MUST create till accounts to manage logical cash control
units.  Usually these correspond with cash drawer inserts and may
either follow the till or the logged in user.  Current conventions by
default are to use accno 1300 for a till in/out account, and accno
1300.x where x is the till id (either the last octet of the terminal's
IP address or the user's employee.id depending on whether you use
per-terminal or per-employee accounts).

2)  If you want to support the open till button or pole displays, you
MUST set up scripts on the client to act as network servers for
relevant hardware.  Otherwise you can comment out the printer
definition in pos.conf.pl

3)  Review the pos.conf.pl for more configuration info.

4)  We added a till close procedure to provide some level of cash
controls.  This is not quite the same as a Z report, but it was there
to fit a specific user's needs, follows the same basic principles, and
automates the process from the cashier's perspective.

If you run into trouble ask either on the list or on IRC.