pos hardware information

You might find my experience helpful.  We run a small retail women's clothing boutique and currently using SQL-Ledger.  Planning on converting to LedgerSMB hopefully this weekend.  I assume that for this particular topic, that there should be minimal differences between SQL-Ledger and Ledgersmb.  My environment consists of SQL-Ledger running on SUSE Linux.  We have a typical Windows XP workstation that we use as our POS hardware, and also have a receipt printer.  Since we have everything barcoded, hope to add a barcode scanner shortly.  So far what I have found is the key decision is picking a receipt printer that is compatible with the printing system (i.e. CUPS).  We chose a TSP 600 from Star Micronics.  They provide the appropriate Linux drivers so setting this up was fairly easy.  In addition, it includes a port to connect a cash drawer to it so that when the receipt printer prints, it can control the opening of the cash drawer.  We are not currently using that feature as of yet.  Our printer is connected to a wireless print server so it does not have to be physically connected to the Windows XP workstation.  This gives me the ability to enter sales remotely, and print the receipt at the store.  Our users enter all sales through the browser.  The GUI is not as flashy as many boxed Integrated POS systems, but provides a lot of flexibility when it comes to integrating with other systems.  We are currently in the process of implementing a CRM system (i.e. SugarCRM) and exploring how to best to integrate key information.  Same goes for an online E-Commerce store.  I am guessing this would be next to impossible if you were using something like QuickBooks, especially if you are running several retail outlets.  With SQL-Ledger/LedgerSMB, I can have one server hosting the application, and all retail outlets can connect to it via the Internet, assuming of course you have addressed appropriate security measures.

Best Regards,
Steven Marshall

Taty Lee Boutique
11705 Jones Bridge Rd., B206
Alpharetta, GA 30005
770-410-6964

"Once you experience the stylish comfort of Brazilian-cut jeans, you will demand nothing less!"