pos hardware information

Hi:
I have been using sql-ledger for several years, and was recently showing it to a friend of mine who is opening a retail outlet.  He was adequately impressed enough that he has asked me if it could be set up with pos hardware, and if so to go ahead and do it.
It seems an obviously good time to put ledgersmb to work if I can meet the requirements.  I started investigating, and have found surprisingly little in terms of information on using pos hardware with either sql-ledger or ledgersmb.  It seems that every article I read suggests that not all hardware works with all software, and that using anything less than fully integrated proprietary systems is completely foolhardy.
I understand that the SL-POS patch is out there, but I cannot find any sort of a list as to what hardware is good to get for it.  The needs for this outlet are exceedingly simple, nothing more than a receipt printer and a cash drawer are required for now.  I very much want to make sure that if I can set this up, I get it right the first time.  I was hoping that perhaps someone might point me in the direction of some appropriate documentation that would be suitable for my education, or share some experience and wisdom.
Bob Miller
334-7117/633-3760
http://computerisms.ca
..hidden..