Re: Anyone using LedgerSMB in Australia?

LedgerSMB is bar-none the best potential open source package out there.  I have tried them all - everyone.  I run a business which requires 90% of what a full blown accounting system does.  LSMB has some very serious short comings and some very annoying ones.  I had to do a substantial amount of custom modification to the DB, the user interface, and to the report system to meet my needs.  In retrospect, a purchased product would have been a wiser choice for me.

LSMB has a ways to go.  Had it not been started as a fork of SQL-Ledger it would not have so many problems - which have to be, methodically, resolved one by one over time.  When version 1.4 hits the street, it will be a much more mature and feature filled and extensible product.  The developers are very aware of the needs and the problems.

If the needs are relatively simple, this is the only choice for an open source accounting package in my opinion.  If the needs are more comprehensive, wait until version 1.4.  There are other packages which currently look nicer and work better in some respects, but because of the development team and their vision, expertise, and commitment, LSMB has the most potential as a small to medium business accounting package.  I fully expect LSMB to be very widely used.

Trevor

Phil Rhoades wrote:
People,