Refunding money to a customer

Hi there,

A while back, when working in a customer's restaurant on his laptop, I spilled a drink across the keyboard. My insurance company paid promptly, and sent a cheque directly to the customer who replaced the machine.

I have a £100 excess on my insurance, however, and would like to set this against invoices (long) owed by the customer.

I would assume to do this by creating a new invoice on the customer's account and enter a new item of value -£100 (say under my "miscellaneous discount" service) - is this the correct way? I'm not sure if it's legal to have an invoice of negative value? (in the UK)

Ideally I'd like this £100 to show up amongst the other payments & credits shown in a statement of account which I'd like to send to the customer (see my other post). However Jigme Datse's post of 13 March 2008 16:06:55 GMT (SUBJECT: Re: statements, credit notes, overpayments, budgets, tax corrections) suggests that overpayments on one invoice are not automagically credited to other invoices on the same account, so perhaps my approach is wrong.

Stroller.