Re: LedgerSMB 1.2.9 Error! Can't bind a reference (Math::BigFloat=HASH(0xa8d3250)) at LedgerSMB/CT.pm????

On Nov 13, 2007 11:50 PM, Marco Hess <..hidden..> wrote:

>  Chris Travers wrote:
>  Your DBD::Pg is out of date. Update it through whatever method you
> used the first time around. If updates are not available, please use
> CPAN (you will need the postgresql header files for this).
>
>  Thanks for the reply, but that concerns me somewhat. I was quite glad that
> I got something that appears to be running by just installing it from RPM's
> on my target machine and not needing any development tools or libraries to
> be installed. I am wary of having that sort of tools (incl. GCC) laying
> around  on a  production  machine.

Maybe if you tell us, we can help you locate an appropriate RPM.
Check Dag's repository.

Also do you know which version of DBD::Pg you are running?  The reason
I am asking is that the only case I have seen in this was with one
customer of mine who hadn't updated the module in a number of years (I
think PostgreSQL had been installed from source at about the same time
and was 8.0).  This is a situation where I have discovered that we
need better documentation on required version numbers.  Part of the
problem is that it is not clear from the DBD::Pg changelog when the
problem was fixed.

>  However, since then I have tried several times to get a more recent version
> up and running but so far without luck. I am quite reasonable around Linux
> and scripts and can find my way around perl a bit but I an definitively not
> a perl programmer. As such, I found the requirement to use CPAN for updates
> to get the later versions LedgerSMB running pushing me way beyond my comfort
> zone as it seems to be updating and installing way more than I comfortable
> with.

Understood.  Here is what you need to understand in order to make a
decision on how you want to proceed from here.  We are in the position
at the moment of re-engineering the entire system. At the moment, this
means that we will be dropping support for components much more
rapidly than we will once things stabilize.  For example, 1.3.x will
require PostgreSQL 8.1 or higher because we need the role support.
However, long-run we want this to run on a stable platform as much as
you do.  It is mostly a matter of necessary compromises aimed at
producing software which will be maintainable in the long run.

There will also be some cases, such as this, when changelogs of our
dependencies don't provide enough information for us to determine when
a specific problem was fixed.  At the moment I can tell you that
DBD::Pg 1.39 and earlier are known not to work, and 1.49 is known to
work.  I expect that we will probably just set the required level to
1.49.