Adding fonts in LaTeX (Gentoo - app-text/tetex-3.0_p1-r4)

Hi there,

For LedgerSMB's LaTeX requirements I have TeTeX installed on my system, and I only use it for LedgerSMB. In order to make my invoice reflect my "brand identity" I have installed some additional fonts on the system (using dev-tex/mpm) and use these in the invoice.tex. I use Augie for the san serif body text and Augie - one of the Emerald fonts - for "hand-written" notes.

Unfortunately one of Gentoo's standard software updates (`emerge world`) upgraded TeTeX yesterday and only afterwards did I notice:

  >>> Messages generated by process 19917 on 2007-10-28 12:57:40 for
  package app-text/tetex-3.0_p1-r4:

  WARN: setup

  teTeX 3.0 ebuild will remove config files stored in /usr/share/texmf.
  Please make a backup before upgrading if you changed anything.

  WARN: preinst
  Removing /usr/share/texmf/web2c

  LOG: postinst

Now, none of my fonts work, and the invoice produced by LedgerSMB is blank. :(

I remember this happened before, but the last time I upgraded was March, and I can't remember how I fixed it. :(
I will take detailed notes this time. :/

There are three different updmap.cfg files on my system:

  $ locate updmap.cfg
  /etc/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
  /etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg
  /var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
  /usr/share/man/man5/updmap.cfg.5.bz2
  $

I had thought the trick was to add these lines at the foot of one of them:

  Map /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/emerald.map
  Map /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/arev/arev.map

But this is to no avail. I know that Arev depends on some other fonts (maths fonts? bera?), but I'd expected that this would at least show the parts of the invoice which use the emerald font. The font files in /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/ have been unaffected by the upgrade & are still there (but just to be on the safe side uninstalling them & reinstalling them doesn't make any difference).

When I run `updmap && texhash` I see that files in my home directory are updated:

  updmap: This is updmap, version 1122009795
updmap: using transcript file `/home/stroller/.texmf-var/web2c/ updmap.log'

  updmap is creating new map files using the following configuration:

    config file: `/var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg'
dvips output directory: `/home/stroller/.texmf-var/fonts/map/ dvips/updmap' pdftex output directory: `/home/stroller/.texmf-var/fonts/map/ pdftex/updmap' dvipdfm output directory: `/home/stroller/.texmf-var/fonts/map/ dvipdfm/updmap'
  updmap: Scanning for Map entries:
updmap: using map file `/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/ arev/arev.map' updmap: using map file `/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/ emerald.map' updmap: using map file `/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/antp/ antp.map' updmap: using map file `/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/psnfss/ charter.map'

  texhash: Updating /home/stroller/.texmf-var/ls-R...
  texhash: Updating /usr/local/share/texmf/ls-R...
  texhash: Updating /usr/share/texmf/ls-R...
  texhash: Updating /usr/share/texmf-site/ls-R...
  texhash: Updating /var/cache/fonts/ls-R...
  texhash: Updating /var/lib/texmf/ls-R...
  texhash: Done.

As you can see arev & emerald are mentioned, but I don't seem to be able to use emerald even on a test.tex file in my home dir. And they certainly don't work in the invoice. Running `updmap && texhash` as root makes no difference.

Can anyone tell me the correct place to add fonts to TeTeX so that they'll be accessible for all users, please? I think that the way I have done this in the past may be "unofficial" - I think I've added my local fonts to the master list of fonts shipped with TeTeX as a distro, and that's why they've been over-written - but it has been the only way in the past that I've got this to work. And now I can't find that list at all. :(

Any comments or assistance will b VERY GRATEFULLY received.

Stroller.