Expensing an item in inventory

Hi

Can someone tell me how we can expense an item of inventory if we end up using it within our business.

As an example, say we buy 10 hard drives.  These get entered into the inventory, and the inventory is adjusted as we sell them to customers.  We sell 9 hard drives and use 1 hard drive in one of our busniess's servers.  How do we make this last hard drive a business expense and make sure that the inventory is still reduced by 1 item?

I assume we could invoice ourselves, but this doesn't feel quite right.  IANAA, so I'll admit some clueless-ness up front ;-)

Thanks for any assistance
Rob