Re: Warehouse - Bin/bin list/bin lists

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 23:06 +0200, Pongracz Istvan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask that, what is the 'bin' and how it is related to
> warehouses.
>
> My problem is, I have no idea to represent a real warehouse into the
> existing warehouse/bin structure easily.
>
> For example, I have 10 big warehouses in our country in 8 different
> cities.
> Each warehouses has several buildings and outside places.
> Most of them has several floors, where we use lot of four-to-eight level
> high racks.
> Lot of racks has smaller bins.
>
> So, this structure is a typical tree object.
> In the existing system I can create warehouses and for a part, I can
> assign a 'bin' number.
> As I can see, I only can assign only one bin number for a part.
>
> If I get 10 trucks of a part into 3 warehouses, how can I record their
> location in LS, to report their exact location at any time?
>
> And how can I manage that situation, when I want to move a part from one
> place to other?
>
> I have an idea, using a good code-table to generate a
> multi-segment-value bin number, but I have no idea, how to separate all
> items in these trucks?
>
> So, the long and short of it, how to manage storing lot of goods in lot
> of places, using LS?
> Of course, I need report possibility for any time, without paperwar :)
>
> Cheers,
> IstvÃn

I'm sure there are lots of interesting schemes, but I use
the following as it almost infinitely extensible.

A basic location ('bin') would be 1A1B12

1 Used in conjunction with the following A, in case I get to
  Z and have to go round again. It could be an identifiying
  letter or name - I used to have this as an N for New and S
  for Second hand when we did second hand parts as well.
A = the primary location - in my case its a isle or other
    indietifiable area in the stores - it could be a building
    for you
1 - In my case the shelf - starting at the bottom, so more can
    be added at the top if required.
B - Horizontal divisions on the shelf
12 - The location on the shelf - a bin for loose parts, place
     place where a box goes for boxed items.

Occasionaly the 12 is followed another letter - A would the front
section of 12, with B behind etc. Equally, this A (or B etc)
is followed by another number representing left to right dividing
of A, and so on.

This system is fully extensible. If 1A becomes full, the a new
location can be started - 2A. There's no need, necesserily, for
them to be adjacent - and you *never* have to re-assign existing
locations (even if you start using say, 2A, as the existing A
just has an implied 1 in front). I started out with a system
recommended by a book and six months later had to re-label
almost all my stock when a shelf became full - a total nightmare!
It also has the advantage that, with suitable signs, anyone
should be able to find any location as long as they know the
alphabet and can count!

The snag is though, as with any system, someones got to type it
all to start with - unless there is no grouping of stock, or
size issues, in which case LSM could simply import an automatically
generated list of locations against stock number.

Cheers
Richard