Re: Windows XP Installation Blues - 2nd Try

On 10/11/07, Kenneth Gendrich <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi

I've read through the archives and could not find many good stories on
windows xp installs.
I have had a recent steep learning curve, and have muddled through it.
I now find myself stuck in about 3 feet of mud and need an escape
before I give up and go buy a mac :)

So, here is what I've done so far.
1.  Learned about gzip, untar
2.  Installed and started apache 2.2.6
3   Installed and started postgres sql 8.2.5
4.  Installed and built dmake
5.  Installed active perl
6.  Uninstalled active perl :)
7.  Installed perl 5.8.8 (vanilla-perl)
8.  Downloaded what appears to be 1.2.99 from the ledger-smb.org site
9.  Found the README file
10.Learned about "perl build.pl"
11.Discovered CPAN  (many times)
12. Built every dependency EXCEPT for DBD::Pg
13. Slept 6 hrs, started again...
This is where I am stuck.
I have tried CPAN DBD::Pg (Forgot what went wrong after 2 hrs of research)
I have tried downloading the PG-1.49 source for windows (2x)
[both appear to make and compile fine, but fail the signature test and
the Use DBG::Pg tests]
There is a strange error.  I say strange because the system fails to
load pg.dll even though pg.dll is in the specified location
Can't load 'C:\dbd\DBD-Pg-1.49\blib\arch/auto/DBD/Pg/Pg.dll' for
module DBD::Pg: load_file:The specified module could not be found at
C:/vanilla-perl/perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 230.

I have run into this problem before.  Iirc, the error message is misleading and the actual problem is an inability to load libpq.dll from the PostgreSQL installation.  You have two options that I can think of:
1)  Copy libpq.dll into C:\Windows\System32
or
2)  Adjust the PATH environment variable to point ot where libpq.dll is installed (probably C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\lib\)

See attachment DBFTestfail.png
What's strange is that pg.dll IS in that location AND  notice the /
after "arch" that should be a \

I even modified the makefile.pl where this is specified, after which
make failed miserably....

So, I installed the component anyway, successfully, and then guess
what perl admin.pl turned up:
install_driver(Pg) failed: Can't load 'C:/vanilla-perl/perl/site/lib/auto/DBD/Pg
/Pg.dll' for module DBD::Pg: load_file:The specified module could not be found a
t C:/vanilla-perl/perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 230.

Same error message, but correct slashes and the file is really there as well...
See Attachment AdminFail.png

Final questions:  Is there a windows template of ledgersmb.conf, I had
to guess on a lot of settings
Most of all, what is the database name?  Is it host, localhost or the
database instance in pg_adminIII?

DBI_DSN=dbi:Pg:dbname=postgres
DBI_PASS=postgres
DBI_USER=postgres

Thanks, I hope there is a guru out there to get me past this roadblock ....

- Ken G