Report from OSCON

Hi all;

I have just spent a week at OSCON as a presence of our community at this trade show.  Mostly I have been hanging out at the PostgreSQL booth, answering questions, but I also gave a lightening talk in the State of Lightening Talks, and a longer presentation at PgDay the Sunday before the conferene.

In general, I have gotten a lot of positive feedback on our project and its direction. However there are some other developments in the community I figured may be relevant to some peoples' use of the software.

1)  We now have some serious competition in the open source accounting space since PostBooks has been released under a modified Mozilla Public License.  This is probably actually a good thing for our software.

2)  Once Technologies has committed to releasing Once:Radix which may allow some users of LedgerSMB to quickly build new internal business extensions using their Java/_javascript_ rapid application development framework.  Their open source release of 0.9 is scheduled for August 7th.  I do not believe that Once:Radix can be used for our core application in any reasonable way as they don't have multilanguage support, but for quick and dirty add-ons, it may be an option.

Again, I have been very much heartened by the positive response to our presentations and presence at OSCON.  I think we will likely see continued interest as time goes by.