Re: Over receiving items on purchase orders

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Charley Tiggs wrote:
> Howdy folks...
>
> I have a perplexing situation that I'm trying to figure out.
>
> Let's say a client generates a purchase order for 30 items.  Two weeks
> later, we receive 20 of those items and we receive in the 20 we got
> within LSMB.  1 week later, we receive another 12, which we also
> received into LSMB for a total of 32.
>
> Now, here's where it gets weird:
>
> We didn't adjust the quantity of items on the purchase order because we
> want to keep a record of what we actually ordered vs. what was received.
>   Consequently, when we turn that purchase order into an invoice, we're
> charged for 32 items (which is correct), but when we go back to review
> what should be a closed purchase order, we find a line item with a qty
> of -2 (30 originally ordered - 32 items actually received).
>
> How should I be handling this?  Should I be adjusting the qty for the
> line item on the purchase order?  There are times when we receive
> overstock when we don't want to pay for it because it's not what we
> ordered but it's being given to us by the vendor and we want it in
> stock.  Therefore, we want to keep the original qty for the line item.
>
> On the other hand, I see no way of dealing with the extras short of
> dumping the extra two into another vendor invoice and setting the price
> to zero.

Hi Charley,
	I am assuming that the split supply is not really a part of this issue, and
it's just the oversupply part that's the problem - let me know if that's not
the case.

The way we deal with this is we simply alter the vendor invoice. So the
purchase order will (and should) show the original ordered amount, but the
vendor invoice will show the actual received amount(s). In this case I would
probably add another line to the vendor invoice with the 2 over-supplied
items at zero cost, or average the price out on the original line for 32
units. I'd also add an internal note to the vendor invoice explaining the
oversupply.

If you are using shipping or something then I don't know how that will work -
we found that SL's shipping/receiving caused very weird things to happen and
am sure it has destroyed our onhand values over time so we only use p/o's and
direct conversion to vendor invoices.

I don't know if that's GAAP but it should track things properly and you get to
keep an accurate account of what happened (assuming I am understanding your
problem).

--
Regards,
	Ashley J Gittins