Re: Login problems

On 3/5/07, Matt Jackson <..hidden..> wrote:
Ashley,

The plot thickens! lol

OK I tried the following, after doing a

sudo su postgres

and then psql

and then got the

postgres=#

prompt and entered the following, with teh following result:

postgres=# GRANT ALL ON SESSION TO "ledger-smb";
ERROR:  relation "session" does not exist

Then I tried this, with the following result:

postgres=# GRANT ALL ON * TO "ledger-smb";
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "*" at character 14
LINE 1: GRANT ALL ON * TO "ledger-smb";
                     ^

Is my next step to find that config file? Must I be missing something from it?

- Matt

On 3/5/07, Ashley J Gittins <..hidden..> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Matt Jackson wrote:
> > Ashley,
> >
> > Tried first command and got:
> >
> > postgres=# GRANT ALL ON SESSION TO ledger-smb;
> > ERROR:  syntax error at or near "-" at character 31
> > LINE 1: GRANT ALL ON SESSION TO ledger-smb;
> >                                       ^
>
> Ahh, you'll need to quote the username, as the hyphen is an operator, I guess.
> I think double quotes (") around just the username should do it. Ie:
>
> grant all on * to "ledger-smb";
>
> If that gives you and error then it's single quotes - I always get mixed up
> between them with psql :-)
>
> > Next did the "psql -h localhost -U ledger-smb lsmb-db-name" as:
> > psql -h localhost -U ledger-smb ledger-smb
> > and I got the "ledger-smb=#" prompt.
>
> Cool, that means the username and password you used are correct.
>
> > I don't know how to check the conf file as you indicated. As you can
> > probably tell, I am very green. Green but trying! lol
>
> On an sql-ledger install, it's where you unpacked SL,
> named "sql-ledger.conf" - I dunno if it'll be sql-ledger.conf or
> ledger-smb.conf or what - but go to where you installed LSMB and do an ls -
> that will show you the files, I expect there'll only be one .conf file, so
> note the name and open it up in your favourite editor, take a look at the
> database connection info. I doubt that's your problem though - get the grant
> command working first.
>
> > Anyhow, I tried the previous "grant all" command again under this
> > account and got the same thing:
> >
> > ledger-smb=# grant all on session to ledger-smb;
> > ERROR:  syntax error at or near "-" at character 31
> > LINE 1: grant all on session to ledger-smb;
> >                                       ^
>
> Yep. Same quoting thing as above - but that account won't have permission to
> grant rights on that db anyway, most likely - you want to do it from the
> postgres account.
>
> --
> Regards,
>         Ashley J Gittins