Instalation Woes

Hi All,

Firstly, I like the direction ledger-smb appears to be heading, hence my choice to use ledger-smb over sql-ledger.

I am having trouble installing/getting to work ledger-smb.   My main
problem is I can't seem to get to the "admin" section (so can't create a
user hence I can't logon to ledger-smb).    I have tried various install
methods/options as follows. I am sure I am missing something simple. Apache finds the pages, I can access postgresql, create databases/users (via postgres commands). I was originally running Debian (stable), used the backports for Postgresql 8.1. Didn't work, try Debian(testing) which include postgres 8.1.

1. Install sql-ledger, use ledger-smb 1.1.8 as a "drop in replacement"
as per Readme. This one get the closest, I login and it gives me the message that database has been upgraded. When I log in again all I get is a blank screen. Note sql-ledger appears to be working.

2. Install from .deb packages both 1.20 Beta 3 & 4, and 1.1.99b3. Neither work, get to "login screen (admin.pl) and "Access denied"

3. Manual install from 1.2.0 Beta 5 source as per INSTALL instructions. Admin.pl want a password. Ran "perl Build.PL" Runs various postgresql commands, create users, database and then run Pg-central.sql. No errors. I can see the tables etc in the database. I configure apache2 and run ledger-smb. Login screen pops up (s far so good) and admin requires a password. Try just hitting logon didn't work. So next assumed same as set in ledger-smb.conf, still no luck. Note the following postgres command fails:

update users_conf set password = md5('yada');

also tried

update users_conf set password = md5('yada') where id = 1;

From memory, the error is about password field being type "character varying" and the information supplied is "character varying". Used psql to look at schema but doesn't make too much sense to me. I have also assumed the in pg_hba.conf I need to modify authentication method to md5 (I also tried 'none').

My best guess is that it is not detecting I haven't run ledger-sqb before and so I don't get "change admin password". So this prevents me setting up a ledger-smb user and hence never been able to connect to the postgresql database.

Failing that, perhaps the connection to postgresql is somehow failing. Think that it might be related to pg_hba.conf. Tried, ident, md5 and none. None of this works.

Note sql-ledger works (apt-get install sql-ledger). I have no "real" data/accounts to update, so I am not looking at preserving anything from SL.

I have searched the mailing list archives but couldn;t fins anything directly related.

Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong/missing or have some idea for me to try? If you need more information please let me know.

Regards,

Michael.