Re: Cross currency invoices

To tell you the truth, I have no experience in this area.  However,
looking at the database schema, the currencies are stored relative to
the invoices.  Therefore, assuming that the code works, it should do
exactly as you say.  No guarantees though :-)  Hopefully soon we can
revise this to make sure it always works properly.

On 1/24/07, Ed W <..hidden..> wrote:
Chris Travers wrote:
> I have been thinking about this and I am not sure how far you have gotten.
>
> You can define up to three currencies for use in LedgerSMB 1.1 (no
> limit in 1.2).  When you enter an invoice you will have the option to
> add or change the foreign exchange rate.  this will automatically post
> to the fx accounts.

I guess it would be useful to understand the expected transactions in
standard SL terms (or even Sage terms...)

I guess the transactions will be something like:

- Post transaction at $x, translated into £y at Time=1
AFAICS, the original currency is stored in ar, and the converted is
posted to acc_trans.

- Pay the invoice at T=2 when the rate has say doubled.  Now the payment
will consist of a movement of the original $X to pay the invoice +
another $x which moves into the currency control account

AFAICS, the original currency for the payment is stored in ar, and the
converted currency is posted to acc_trans, so I would think that this
should work.

Whether it works 100% or just 80% I don't know because I don't have
experience with it.

- The 2x $x have to have come from somewhere so we have to pay our
currency exchange (bank).  Invoice?

I would think that this would be the fx_loss account as would happen
during the payment.  Again, I don't have experience with this area so
I can't point you to known issues.

I guess I'm kind of lost by this point and not really sure how to
proceed.  The live system is still running SL (not LMB) to be fair...

Well, I hope that this is helpful.