Re: Backup question

david wrote:
On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 03:25 -0600, Charley Tiggs wrote:
david wrote:
On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 17:04 -0800, Chris Travers wrote:
It does a pg_dump and compresses it.

Is there a significant difference between pg_dump and pg_dumpall?
Yes, there is. Pg_dumpall will dump all databases in your installation. If you have multiple databases installed then all of them will be dumped along with all of your custom functions, views, etc.

pg_dump simply dumps a specific db with all of it's attendant customizations.

<quote>
pg_dumpall also dumps global objects that are common to all databases.
(pg_dump does not save these objects.) This currently includes
information about database users and groups, and access permissions that
apply to databases as a whole.
</quote>

This would seem to imply that pg_dumpall is a better idea, but I'm
disturbingly ignorant of postgres. Am I right? For the record, I'm only
using postgres for SL at the moment.

Thanks, David.

If that's all you're installation of Postgres for and that's all you'll ever use it for, pg_dumpall is fine. But I don't think it's a good idea to make that assumption when creating the backup script. The backup script should only assume that you're working with the defined databases as created within admin.pl. This avoids touching other databases that may be created for other applications.

Charley

pg_dump:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/app-pgdump.html

pg_dumpall: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/app-pg-dumpall.html