Re: Backup question

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 03:25 -0600, Charley Tiggs wrote:
> david wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 17:04 -0800, Chris Travers wrote:
> >> It does a pg_dump and compresses it.
> >>

> > Is there a significant difference between pg_dump and pg_dumpall?
>
> Yes, there is.  Pg_dumpall will dump all databases in your installation.
>   If you have multiple databases installed then all of them will be
> dumped along with all of your custom functions, views, etc.
>
> pg_dump simply dumps a specific db with all of it's attendant
> customizations.

<quote>
pg_dumpall also dumps global objects that are common to all databases.
(pg_dump does not save these objects.) This currently includes
information about database users and groups, and access permissions that
apply to databases as a whole.
</quote>

This would seem to imply that pg_dumpall is a better idea, but I'm
disturbingly ignorant of postgres. Am I right? For the record, I'm only
using postgres for SL at the moment.

Thanks,
David.