Re: Tax and locations

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 22:01 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> I did this for some retail systems once-upon-a-time.  The model that worked
> best in CA was to have sales tax levels attaching to the city and the state,
> with city falling back to state if not defined, and state dropping back to a
> default level if not defined.
Yes, this implies that taxes might be defined at three levels:
municipal, state, and federal as per in the USA, and at least, ie state
or equivalent and federal/national in some other places and just
national in other (eg Australia). I think you might need to have
switches to set the rules/taxes to be applied to additively (as in the
US) or alternatively (or is it an alternative in the order of applying
them?), and then I think most countries are covered. There was
discussion of this ages ago somewhere - probably on SL.