LedgerSMB
The foundation for your business
Fork me on GitHub
[ledgersmb-devel] Re: LaTeX::Encode versus TeX::Encode

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 09:53:04PM +0200, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 5:23 PM Chris Bennett <..hidden..>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 07:20:44PM +0200, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> > > Hi Chris,
> > >
> > > Template::Plugin::Latex has an encoding routine which we're *not* using
> > > encode data before being passed to (Xe)LaTeX.
> > >
> > > We're contemplating simplifying places in our codebase and one of the
> > > changes would be to use the built-in latex_encode. Do you have any
> > > recollection with respect to the choice for TeX::Encode and whether we
> > > should be fine to move to "latex_encode" all these years later?
> > >

> > I don't see any problems.
>

> That's perfect! How did you test for problems? I mean, which characters?
> Which patch did you apply to our code base to make sure Tex::Encode wasn't
> active and the "latex_encode" filter *was*?
>

> > Right now I'm waiting for ports lock to pass.
> > Then I will push in new stuff. Just let me know once a decision is made
> > and I will make that reflect what needs to go in.
> >

> Yup. We're working on developing tests within the LedgerSMB project to
> assure we're making the right decisions; however, if you already did that,
> that would be double work?

I don't mind doing any double work at all. OpenBSD is far enough off the
beaten path that I am running any test within the modules that can be
run. Right now, 6.7 will ship with Perl 5.30.2, with some customizations
for OpenBSD. PostgreSQL 12.x.
I am hoping to get LedgerSMB up and running inside of 6.8 -current.
That can be run by anyone who wants to. Many do run -current, so that's
good.

I need to change my git email address and re-add LedgerSMB to that one.
The projects I was following were a bit overwhelming to this email.

Let me know what tests I should run. I will make sure I have any needed
modules ready for those tests.

> > We just traveled permanently from Washington state back to Texas, so I'm
> > a little out of touch with the ports mailing list (next list I'm going
> > to check).
> >

> Travel safely!

We did! Very happy to be back!

Thanks,