Re: Database schema management & creation of new company databases: how?

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Erik Huelsmann <..hidden..> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now that our database schema management tool is nearly ready, we can upgrade
> existing databases much more easily than before.
>
> However, since changes will be marked in the database as "applied", we need
> some additional process for new databases. I'm seeing a number of solutions
> here;
>
> 1. Maintain schema changes in both Pg-database.sql *and* in the changes
> files in sql/changes/* and upon creating a new database, mark all changes in
> sql/changes/* as "applied", assuming Pg-database and the changes are in sync
> -- con: assumptions are always a risk
> 2. Make Pg-database into the first change and maintain all changes on top of
> it, never maintaining a full schema again -- con: as time goes by, creating
> a new database will take longer and longer.
> 3. Same as (2), but on every release, we generate a "current state" schema
> dump, to speed up the creation of a new database.

I think we should try to keep things manageable.  Let's support a
migration of x versions back, and then when a version is retired,
merge those migrations in.  That avoids endless bloat.  And it also
means you could update 1.4 to 1.6, then update to 1.8 immediately
without losing anything but we don't have to check all the 1.4 patches
when going so many versions into th future.