Re: Proposal: "-dev" suffix for unreleased versions

Erik Huelsmann <..hidden..> wrote:
> My idea is to remove this ambiguity by having all versions which
> aren't set up from a tagged version identify themselves as *-dev. So,
> anything after the release of 1.4.12 would identify itself as
> 1.4.13-dev.
>
> Even if it might not have prevented the 1.4.13 release from being
> borked, the release at least would not have identified itself as
> 1.4.12.
>
> If we'd go with this scheme, I'd like to change the version of the
> 1.4 branch to 1.4.15-dev after the release of 1.4.14 and the version
> reported by master to 1.5.0-dev.

We use this in Openswan:

baseversion=$1
cd "${2:-.}" || usage

version=$baseversion

# Check for git and a git repo.
if head=`git rev-parse --verify HEAD 2>/dev/null`; then

        if descr=`git describe --tags --dirty 2>/dev/null` ; then
                descr=${descr#v}
                printf '%s' "$descr"
                exit 0
        fi

else
        printf "$baseversion"
fi

One could do this in perl much easier, and store it in a file.
This way, you get the git tag, and even the word dirty if there are
local changes, but it references the last version tag.

]     ..hidden..  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [