Re: Attracting more attention to the LedgerSMB project: chicken and egg

On Jun 29, 2015 2:22 AM, "Chris Bennett" <..hidden..> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Off topic a bit, but OpenBSD has removed Apache from base and its
> built-in webserver is "in flux" for now. Apache 1 and Apache 2 are
> available as packages. I finally got up to upgrading the server, OpenBSD
> made a lot of major changes!

BTW I use Starman for development.   One would have to use with nginx if you want to protect with salt though.

> On topic:
>
> I got stuck with only intermittent internet for a long time, so I haven't done
> any updates to forums.ledgersmb.org site.
>
> Right now, the mailing lists are posted, but cannot be posted to and
> then an email sent to the list.  Many people are wanting that. Some
> people just don't want to actually join any of the mailing lists. I am
> on quite a few, which means a few hundred emails a day.
> Some have questions, but want to remain anonymous.
>
> I would have to write the software to make that possible.
> Would that be a good idea? There are also other boards that work like a
> regular forum board, those posts could also be sent to a list, probably
> users.
>
> If you like that idea, I can get started on it.
> Question:
> How should I send the emails?
> Registered users might be OK with using their email address or maybe
> not. What about anonymous posts? Assuming that I allow those to get to
> mailing list.

The immediate concern of course becomes spam.  I guess the first question is how to address that.   One way might be to forward the email to a moderator list and put it in a moderator queue.

From there it should be clear how to handle the sending of email.  One could for example use a dedicated email address that is subscribed.