Re: git/dvcs concept questions regarding identifying a baseline branch

On 26/04/2014 14:51, Chris Travers wrote:
How is this supposed to work?  If we merge in a feature branch, won't it pull all changes from the baseline branch in as well?

Not in Git, branching works quite differently. In the scenario above it'll only pull in what it has in itself. If the baseline has changed after it was branched from it, it does not care. If you wanted to keep your branch up to date with the baseline then you need to keep pulling the baseline into it.

Granted the places I know that use git internally and have advice to give only have one stable branch so this is a feature, not a bug, but that isn't us.

There is no reason not to have multiple stable branches. But if you want to try to move one off patches from one to the other then merging isn't the answer, cherry picking is:
https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-cherry-pick.html

But then if you are multiple stable branches that aren't going to merge with each other, there may be an argument that they should be in separate repos.

So what's the best way to define our baseline?  With svn, we defined our baseline as trunk and merged backward, but that doesn't work without a whole lot of work.  And if we branch from oldest applicable, then any changes made to refactored code in newer branches will cause problems.  So wondering what people recommend.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/ExoPlatform