Re: Proposed menu changes for 1.4

Hi Chris,

I:  Customer/Vendor changes

AR->Customers and AP->vendors

- Add
- History (no need to have a Reports submenu with just one option--
that could come back if we have more reports)

Yes: the fact that I need to open a submenu to perform the most common task in our system has puzzled me from the beginning. Definitely a good move.

II:  Chart of Accounts position

1:  Remove System/Chart of Accounts and all submenus (except add
account which gets moved as below)
2:  Move Reports/Chart of Accounts under General Journal
    * The columns displayed would depend on permissions.
         * A normal user with no additional permissions could see
Account Number and Description.
         * If has permission to view GL transactions, add credits and
debits, and give the option to click through account number to get to
the GL search screen with account field pre-populated.
         * If user has admin access, additional columns would be
visible:  link, edit, delete, and obsolete.
    * Move add account to General Journal just underneath Chart of Accounts

It took me a bit to see the entire picture when we talked over gChat, but now it's in this mail I must say that this too is a good idea: The "Reports" top level menu which *strictly* relates to GL data struck me as confusing since I first saw it.

III:  Parts:

1:  Move searches out of Reports menu and to top level since this is
the most common task
2:  Put add part/service/labor/assembly in a New submenu

This move was counter-intuitive to me at first: I had been thinking to move all configuration related items TO the system menu instead of away from it. However, if you think of admins as "users with special authorizations" I guess it makes sense to align all menus to look like the customer menus: create and modify belong together in the same menu and you'll be presented either based on your authorizations.

So now I agree with this change.

IV:  Others:

1:  All searches are at the same level as what they search
2:  For transactions, invoices, orders, and quotations, new comes
above search.  For everything else search comes above new.

What do people think?

I think this will improve navigation experience. Let's see what others have to say in the next day or 2, but failing any reactions, I'd say that's a green light to proceed.

Bye,

Erik.