Issues with largish file uploads, not quite sure where the problem lies

Hi all,

We've known for some time that file uploads for some reason are
hanging at a certain size and that size is system dependent.  I made
some progress on this issue yesterday at least in terms of
understanding it.  The overall problem seems to be that the memory
used by the CGI script seems to be unreasonably high.  I am thinking
there has to be a better way to do this, but I am not quite sure what
it is.