Re: New Development Snapshot Available for LedgerSMB

Hi Nigel;

It would help me if I understood specifically what your reporting
requirements were.  I would be happy to look over them.

Anyway my plans on the patch are:

1)  Officially maintained add-on for 1.3
2)  A more generic system of defaults per customer for 1.4, and
merging it in there.

Hope this helps.

Typically, people usually use income accounts for categories of
revenue.  How these are categorized is largely up to the individual
setting up the books.  I don't see anything *wrong* with your setup,
but I also don't think it is typical.  And it would only work for
AR/AP transactions, it would not work so well if you were trying to
sell items that were tracked in inventory.  In other words it may be a
reasonable way for your business to solve a problem but that doesn't
mean it is a generally applicable solution.

I make this distinction not as a way of saying there is a better way
of doing things.  If it works well for your business, that's all you
need.  The goal long-run is not to force a single workflow on all
customers but to support every customer with their own solutions to
the extent possible.  Also current limitations of the software may
make that difficult in some cases.  So I don't think you are using the
software *wrong.*  I don't have enough information to say if there is
a better way.

So the goal here is to ensure you and every user of the software is
*able* to support your own business processes, not necessarily a
matter of exposing everything everyone possible wants to the interface
for every user.  If we go that route, the software will become a mess
for everybody.

I am going to open a new discussion on the users list about EU VAT
stuff.  That might get us all more feedback :-)