Re: Features you would like to see in 2.0

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 21:53 -0500, John Hasler wrote:
Joshua D. Drake writes:
I would go for permanent invoices AND non-editable invoices (notes not
included).

Notes can be important and need to be preserved.  How about permitting
notes to be added but not altered?

Thus the (notes not included) :). I see no problem having notes tied to
an invoice, that is tied to an entity.

Yes, but your statement makes it sound as if notes would be completely editable. I think John's point was that they should be able to be added to, but not changed once saved.

My original suggestion was to make the notes posted with the invoice be just as locked as the invoice, but allow future notes to be edited. Either one of those would be workable in my opinion.

I think that we can not allow at least the notes posted with the original invoice to be changed. They may constitute part of the legal document which is the invoice, and a customer who pays may do so on the strength of something contained in those notes. So, while perhaps they can be added to, they should not be malleable.

If there is a notes table:

noteID (sequence)
invoiceID
type (enum: original, internal, additional)
added (timestamp)
note

Originals can be created (unique per invoice) and viewed.
Internals can be created and viewed.
Additionals can be created, viewed, edited, and deleted.

I can think of a few alternatives, but that's what popped into mind.

Luke