Re: New to list + SMTP authentication when sending email

On 17 Jul 2010, at 22:03, Ryan MacFarlane wrote:
These comments are not intended as a criticism - I would love to be
educated if there's stuff that can't be done this way. But it seems
like SMTP authentication, and adding complexities to that, is adding
unnecessary features to LedgerSMB. If LedgerSMB can stick to its core
competencies then it can do those better!

It has been a while since I have looked into email sending from
LedgerSMB (and LedgerSMB itself) so the following may not be 100%
correct (and may have been updated since). At the time, the built in
email functionality of LedgerSMB was not sufficient for the environment
the patch was originally written for. I believe this functionality was
carried over from SQL-Ledger. The mail provider would simply reject the
method of mail transportation used by LedgerSMB. In order to use the
email functionality of LedgerSMB, it was decided to implement the SMTP
authentication needed by the mail host. The result of this
implementation was the desired use of the built in email functionality -
it worked as desired for that installation and environment.

Is there a common best practice in LedgerSMB for setting up email
functionality?

I would say that best practice is to use sendmail / sendmail-command- line-compatibility, in the way already followed.

ssmtp can authenticate to a single upstream host. I think you shouldn't need more than, irrespective of the number of companies for whom you're hosting LedgerSMB.

If you DO need that, then I'm pretty sure that Postfix can route to different upstream servers depending upon the from: domain.

Load shouldn't be a problem that you need to run Postfix on a different box, but if you do then it can be secured in various ways (still compatible with the above).

I don't think you've shown any need for this feature. "not sufficient for the environment the patch was originally written for" - the guy could just be reinventing the horse. Explain WHY it was insufficient, and I'll try to answer.

Stroller.