Re: Payroll

Joshua D. Drake writes:
> It is really a matter of support from the community. Payroll is a huge
> burden on a corporation.

Unfortunately it is also the number one reason for preferring Guickbooks
over LedgerSMB.  Everyone I know who uses the former hates it and says
they would switch if they could find anything else that would do
payroll.

> If there was enough financial support in the community, it could
> definitely be built.

Perhaps a note to that effect could be added to the roadmap?  Something
about payroll being planned but conditional on support?  I know people
who are certain that no Free Software project could ever deal with
payroll and that none are interested in trying.

It seems to me that _basic_ payroll is pretty straightforward: the
employees are just a class of creditors.  The complexity is all in the
tax rules, which perhaps should be handled by plugins.  If some sort of
framework was in place (or at least explicitly planned) maybe support
for the tax rules would be forthcoming.
--
John Hasler
..hidden..