Re: Proposed Architecture Changes in 2.0 (Request for comments)

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Luke <..hidden..> wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2010, Chris Travers wrote:
>
>> 6)  Workflow scripts will allow stacks of coderefs to be pushed onto
>> before, instead, and after piles, allowing for shims to be placed by
>> system integrators at these points.
>
> Interesting statement, perhaps only because I am used to thinking about
> this in the context of arrays of functions, not stacks of references to
> them, although functionally the same.  I assume that this is your idea of
> a hook implementation, to allow third (and first, for that matter) party
> modules to be integrated with core and each other?

Strictly for third party integration.

I.e. one can have customization script which basically says "after you
run the following workflow function and it returns, but before the
transaction is committed and the page rendered, do the following...."

The idea is something in an app level roughly analogous to triggers on
the db side.  Moose in Perl also offers similar functionality but may
be too heavyweight for what we are doing.

The idea is that instead of overriding our methods (and possibly
breaking something else), one could redirect code calls elsewhere
without interfering with specific inter/intramodule calls to the
function.