Re: OT: Email basics (was Re: Email Format Poll for the list)

My apologies, I misread what you said.
Despite that, the email you responded with had

and a quick grep of my mail folder shows only 188 messages of 2040 with a Content-Type of text/plain also have format=flowed.
That is just over 9% of the "text" parts of my received email.
So while Thunderbird may technically work as it is supposed to, 90% of the emails I have received do not have a flowed disposition. I do not suggest mozilla should fix this, but the clients that send email incorrectly certainly should.

As we have gone way off topic I will leave this here. (before I dig an even deeper hole for myself :)

Regards
David G

David F. Skoll wrote:
David Godfrey wrote:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I am aware that Thunderbird handles
flowed text in HTML fine.

I'm not talking about HTML.  I'm talking about plain text, as in:

With regard to multipart sections appearing as attachments, are you
saying that Thunderbird should not display them as attachments?

I'm suggesting that Thunderbird does the Right Thing in this case.  It
obeys the Content-Disposition: MIME header (which is set by the sending
software.)

Regards,

David.