Re: Any objection to declaring a 1.3 partial feature freeze?

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 6:13 PM, David A. Bandel<..hidden..> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 19:22, Chris Travers<..hidden..> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> At this point, I am going to suggest that all non-essential (for 1.3)
>> development stop and we start rolling towards a public beta perhaps as early
>> as the end of the month.  The following areas would be exempt from the
>> feature freeze:
>
> [snip]
>
>> What do people think?
>
> My $.02 and worth what you paid for it:
>
> I think it's more important to get this out then make small, easily
> digestible changes moving forward.   While continuing is tempting,
> what I've been testing so far needs to get into the hands of more
> folks and into use.

Well, at this point, the exemptions really fall into blocking issues
that can be expected to be committed this week (and which are really
necessary given other changes) as well as areas which, if they aren't
working, should be considered bugs.  However, we have a strict policy
of bugfixes only to production branches.  New "features" can be added
as add-on patches but shouldn't be distributed with the core of the
software.

> Besides, if you don't stop soon, you'll spend the first two years
> after release fixing bugs.  But it's not the bugs that will kill you,
> it's how each fix will affect the rest of the code.

That is my concern :-)