Re: Any objection to declaring a 1.3 partial feature freeze?

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 20:33, Chris Travers<..hidden..> wrote:
[snip]

>> I think it's more important to get this out then make small, easily
>> digestible changes moving forward.   While continuing is tempting,
>> what I've been testing so far needs to get into the hands of more
>> folks and into use.
>
> Well, at this point, the exemptions really fall into blocking issues
> that can be expected to be committed this week (and which are really
> necessary given other changes) as well as areas which, if they aren't
> working, should be considered bugs.  However, we have a strict policy
> of bugfixes only to production branches.  New "features" can be added
> as add-on patches but shouldn't be distributed with the core of the
> software.

This is fine -- just open a new branch.  I didn't necessarily mean add
new features to the stable production code.  I just think it needs a
lot of people to bang on it the way they use/abuse it daily to find
and fix whats in all the new code now.

And I would suggest that the next branch, as new features are
introduced and beta testers find it usable, is released more
frequently -- once with each new feature.  That provides you a couple
of benefits:
1.  users (the community) see active, ongoing development and can
provide more/better feedback
2.  makes debugging (especially code that affects other areas) easier

Besides, a lot of the new features are really nice.  Kudos to all the
developers.

Above opinions are just mine and worth what you paid for them.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
            - Nemesis Air Racing Team motto
Visit my blog at: http://www.pananix.com/cgi-bin/blosxom