What distinguishes a service, vendor invoice item?

We are finalizing a function that will total up the service budjet for a
project. then only allow timecards in the amount of that budjet for the
project.
What does the ledgersmb use to distinguish a service from a part?

Vendors like utility companys send a monthly bill.
A vendor invoice needs to have a item.
when creating a item I am adding a checkbox that flags the item as a "vendor
invoice item" so you can search just for them or omit them from searches.
Is anyone doing anything similar or have any input?

--
Cheers
Turtle