Re: small Patch for 1.2.13 / show customer number in customer select

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 2:11 AM, Florian Reitmeir <..hidden..> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008, Stroller wrote:
>
>> On 2 Jun 2008, at 12:33, Florian Reitmeir wrote:
>> > we use Ledger SMB now for a while .. and have customers with a
>> > large number
>> > of addresses.
>> >
>> > So its important for us, to see the customer number, while selecting a
>> > customer, and nice if its sorted after the customer number.
>> >
>> > so here the small patch, mabye someone will find it useful:
>>
>> I find the need to do this surprising.
>>
>> Here I limit customer drop-down to only 10 entries and it is not used
>> because (of course) I have hundred of customers. This a text-entry
>> field is shown instead, and I just enter the first three letters of
>> the customer's name before hitting "enter". The correct customer
>> entry is found automatically unless there are multiple customers with
>> that sequence of letters in their name, in which case a list of
>> customer names is shown, with a radio box used to select the correct
>> one.
>
> we do have customers like "WallMart" which is called "WallMart", a have a
> couple hunderts addresses, some get invoices, some get the goods.
>
> For us its essential not only to show the customername, but the customernumber,
> because in the number, the correct address for the good delivery is encoded..
>
> and .. sorting the entries by custombernumber helps too.

In 1.3, customers and vendors can have multiple billing and shipping
addresses.  In 1.3, the proper way to do this will be with one
customer company record and multiple addresses.  The sort of situation
you describe will pose some migration challenges but once that is done
will make management a lot easier.