Re: EDI for LedgerSMB

Thanks, Chris, for your well-considered reply.

Interestingly I also received a reply from Sacha Schlegel, the author of the excellent article on ebXML.

Part of Sacha's reply is this:
I really like your ambitions: "to add ebXML capabilities to Open Source
Accounting Systems"!

What ebXML components are you thinking of?

o ebXML RegistryRepository interface to the already exisitng Open Source ebXML Registry/Repository?

o ebXML Core Components to the core of the Accounting System? Might be a tough part

o Support of Universal Business Language import/export? That would be
very cool!

o ebXML Messaging Support? That is probably easy the ebXML messaging
systems have mostly a common interface (file system based ... eg ledger
drops invoice to directory and ebXML messaging systems picks it up and
sends it via ebXML messaging)

o ebXML CPA ... mostly required for the ebXML Messaging System

o ebXML Business Process ... very interesting ... one interesting
question here: how to connect the ledger/ERP systems private business
processes with the collaborative business processes?
Sacha has also given his permission to use his material freely.

I am pleased that you see the value of such a development but would argue, when you say-
I would suggest that the current *users* of LedgerSMB for the most part do not need EDI because if they did they would probably be using other products.
- that users may be unaware of the what EDI can do. EDI has been of great benefit to the big end of town, and, if anything, has been a burden to SMBs - I would like to see that change.

I will continue to champion this cause within the group and would love to hear from Chris Murtagh, Jason Rodrigues, Ted Onley and any others. I will also ask Sacha to join this developer group.

My idea is to start very simply: an external module, probably an existing project and devote our energies to getting the interface to work.

Kind regards,
David Sentinella

begin:vcard
fn:David Sentinella
n:Sentinella;David
org:Integrated Imaging Pty Ltd
adr:334 Barrenjoey Rd;;Suite 3 ;Newport;NSW;2106;Australia
email;internet:..hidden..
title:Managing Director
tel;work:+61 2 9999 6805
tel;fax:+61 2 9997 7426