Re: EDI for LedgerSMB

On Jan 24, 2008 7:38 PM, David Sentinella <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi Ted,

I was beginning to think that there was no interest in the EDI bolt-on.
I'm looking forward to your view of the resources I originally suggested.

Ok.  Here is my view.  Bear in mind that I am on the road this week and so my response has been slow.

Chris Murtagh had been looking at creating an EDI interface.  So had Jason Rodrigues but he is not posted on this lest for a while.

The original approach we had discussed was creating web service interfaces with parsers/xslt to transform in and out.  The major limitation on my side is that I don't understand the whole EDI environment the way Chris M and Jason do.  This is why I had suggested that we look at techical requirements first.  I will post more when I get back on Monday.

I would suggest that the current *users* of LedgerSMB for the most part do not need EDI because if they did they would probably be using other products.  However, I think that an EDI module would greatly increase our ability for businesses to find LSMB useful.

I think that what is necessary is someone to take a lead on defining how something like this would work.  Since the restful WS code has not progressed as fast as we would have hoped, I am open to suggestions as to how to do this.