Localization issues - only thoughts

Hi,

I discussed some localization questions with some of my partners.
It seems, we will have to modify the code/database to fit our national
rules made by the government.

If we want to do this, it should be dangerous, because we will have
problems with merging these modifications into the mainstream, due to
that fact, they are national problems.

If this will happen, we could run into that situation, maintaining our
"national" codebase should start in its own way, generating a fork which
will be behing LS and the gap will increase every week.

So, I would like to ask you (users, devels), what is your experiences in
this field? (localization in non-english area with strict rules etc.)

Is there an easy way or it is a known problem?

Our plan is, we would like to merge all our work into LS, after
discussing every necessary steps with devels.

Probably, serializing our requirements should result a general solution,
which is able to manage this kind of situations.
I will tell you more, after we will see more clearly about the required
modifications.

Thank you for your attention.

REgards,
István